Re: Binary standards for images and sounds

Mark Wedel <master@rahul.net> writes:
>  And while the data is not compact for XPM files, it is very compressible.
> You (Carl) have been talking about how the links wil be compressing the
> text information.  The XPM data will be compressed just as nicely.
Can I ask that you please don't do this.  There are many links which
do not compress -- for example all the backbone links.  Shoving a 2
meg file out of my machine every time someone starts up will take a
minute at best @ 40k/second.  This is not a particularily good startup
time -- actually it's really obnoxious.
In comparison, after compression by gzip, the file is 143k long, which
would take ~4 seconds to transfer.  This is a much more palatable
startup time.
          -Eric
"It seemed like a good idea at the time"
           -The Mad Hatter
"Yes, you're very smart.  Shut up."
           -In "The Princess Bride"