Re: A quick draft of a preliminary proposal for a possible version of the crossfire protocol

"Carl Edman" <cedman@cedman.remote.Princeton.EDU> writes:
> Yes, and how do you get a useable black and white from a true color
> image ?  Kjetil claims that it is almost impossible and I believe him
> on this point.
Depends on how much intelligence you put into your image format.  I
wrote a program to convert from xpm to xbm which would do the color
conversions the way I wanted them.  You draw the xpm and then you
specify conversions like this:
--
white   gray50
None    white
dodger blue     white
blue    black
firebrick       black
goldenrod       black
yellow  gray75
sienna  black
pale green      black
chocolate       white
--
The conversions then get taken through the ppmtopgm | pgmtopbm |
pbmtoxbm pipeline which produces quite usable pictures.