Re: Binary standards for images and sounds

+--- Carl Edman:
| Byte  Meaning
|  00   Unsigned char for the number of pixels in X direction
|  01   Unsigned char for the number of pixels in Y direction
| [...]
| Would there be much of an outcry if we just chose a headerless stream
| of signed 8-bit mono samples to be played at 8 kHz ?

It is far more likely (and by far more easy to implement) that better
quality audio will be transmitted than anyone will change the size of
the images *and* handle variable sized images. (if the images aren't
variable in size, there's no need to transmit this data every time.)

Anyway - skipping a header for the audio data will save you _nothing_
- audio files tend to be fairly large...

Clients that want them, should get true XPM-files - that way if they
want a persistent image cache, they don't need to keep one for each
different screen type.

Indexed colours makes it more straightforward to represent
transparancy. An alpha channel is overkill, IMHO.

Kjetil T.