Re: Pixmaps, and client/server startup

There is a whole bunch of discussions referring to the item
slow connections.

But I miss an agreed definition of what is a slow connection.
Does everybody play on a local network (ethernet) or are there
serial lines between server and clients. Do you use slip or ppp? (baud-rate?)
Are there someone playing over connection to another country/state/city?
Or, are there router between the client-display and the server?
I can't test crossfire outside the university, because I don't
know any servers which are not so far away.(Hi there, is anyone out there
near KL.)

We're managing a network of severall subnet (router included).
And I noticed the following:
There is no problem, when running on our ethernet, if the server is fast enough.
If he isn't (I've tested server and display on my own colored 3/60)
xpm-mode isn't desirable.

Perhaps we should make a small statistic over what connections the people
play. (I'll summarize if someone's interested.)
The client/server split should minimize the net traffic. But can we define
a lower boundary on what has to be send to/from the client.
Perhaps we have to state, that there should be at least a connection of
<n> bytes per second to play crossfire?

MfG
Klaus