Re: Talking to NPC's

Mark Wedel writes:
 >  Conversation code should really be re-done at some point, to allow for
 > more advanced features (give or take, for example), as well as different
 > states.  Right now, if there is a match for yes, there can only be
 > one response.  Different states should be used, so you can be asked a series
 > of yes/no questions, and with each answer, have a different question come
 > up.
 >
 >  --Mark

I think it's time to rethink the general approach here.

Crossfire implements a simple parser for the archetypes, including
the @match handling, which does it's job but not much more.
Whenever there is need for a new feature, tha parser has to be
extended.

How about including a real scripting language like tcl into crossfire.

It would be hard at first, but tcl runs on just about every unix box
(there's even a DOS port, ugh) and is easy to combine with any app.

Archetypes and maps could then include tcl-scripts that are evaluated
at run time, which brings about unlimited possibilities.

I'm afraid it is a bit late for that though, but maybe it's a thought.

By the way, the overhead wouldn't be much more than the existing
parser.

Regards,
	Greg