Re: cheating & LOS

>>>>[From Carl Edman]

    Ah, yes, some people packets/commands interchangably but that is a
    different matter.  Sending updates asynchroneously probably will tend
    to increase the number of packets.  However, that is not as bad as it
    sounds as the increased TCP/IP packets will mostly occur when the
    connection is idle in any case.

What? I don't grok this. Why would more packets occur when conenction is
idle??!! seems contradictory to me.

    The largest amounts of data (which need all the bandwidth they can
    get) are generated when the LOS set changes which requires both MAPs,
    UNMAPs and ITEMs for the new items.  That will still be just one
    packet for all of them.

I don't think that's a completely accurate summation. The largest amounts
of data conceptually will be generated when you are surrounded by 100
orcs, trolls, dragons, and skulls. Movement all over the place, spells
flying, and various missile weapons. This can potentially generate more
than 11x11 pieces of information all at once.. or rather, asyncronously.

If they are getting updated here and there, let's say 10 pieces of
information in one packet, with tcp packet overhead, that generates a
hell of a lot of overhead.

If you agrees to switch solely to UDP, I don't think I would have a
problem with this.

Glad to hear you will also be able to do a lot of the coding for this! ;-)