Re: damages from various spells--balancing!

>   Some balncing is probably needed.  However, careful consideration
> is required.  The fireball spells have the disadvantage of hittting
> the spell caster (where the cone and bolt spells do not). Also,
> adjustment of any of the first level spells needs to be
> considered carefully - the cost certainly can not be raised much,
> or first level characters won't be able to cast them.
>
>  I do think the 'bullet' spells are pretty wimpy.  The only
> use I have found for them is to destroy acid spheres.
>
>  --Mark

Fire and frost also damage treasure which is a real pain in the arse. I've
found bullet spells useful for taking out a single monster without causing
masses of collateral damage. Something I thought of once was to add in some
code to calculate the damage done by a spell for measuring actual spell
damage. From the code it is non-trivial to work out how much damage a monster
might take from a particular cone or ball spell.

Rupert