crossfire newbie server questions

I just discovered crossfire and am running a server on my local network.
The thing is, it's pretty slow, even though it's running on a pretty buff
machine, an HP 735, which usually doesn't have much of a load.  Are there
some optimizations I don't know about?

Also, I really hate the way so many keystrokes are buffered.  Is there a
viable fix?  Buffered keystrokes really shouldn't be saved after you've
died or pushed against a solid wall a dozen times.

--
I nominate Annaliese for... (turns) What did you want to run for, again?
					--a frosh