Crossfire v0.89.2

I'm having real problems installing this game.  My setup:
 SunOS Release 4.1.3
 gcc 2.3.3

I first got errors while compiling that it couldn't find stdarg.h.
After making a symbolic link to in in the crosfire/include directory,
the program compiled cleanly, with just one or two warnings.
The files compiled with the following options:

gcc -ansi -Wall -O -pipe -I../include  -I/usr/princeton/include -DFONTDIR=\"/u/grweiss/pub/crossfire/fonts/misc\" -DFONTNAME=\"crossfire\"   -DLIBDIR=\"/u/grweiss/pub/crossfire/lib\" -target sun4 -c  logger.c

For the curious, crossfire -o shows the following options

Non-standard include files:
<stdlib.h>
<malloc.h>
<sys/timeb.h>
Secure:         <true>
Logging:                <true>
Libdir:         /u/grweiss/pub/crossfire/lib
Perm file:      <LIB>/forbid
Shutdown file:  <LIB>/shutdown
Save player:    <true>
Save mode:      0600
Playerdir:      <LIB>/players
Save homedir:   <false>
Lock player:    <false>
Use checksum:   <true>
Tmpdir:         /tmp
Fontdir:        /u/grweiss/pub/crossfire/fonts/misc
Compress:       /usr/ucb/compress
Uncompress:     /usr/ucb/uncompress
Map timeout:    80
Map reset:      7200
Max objects:    3000
Use_calloc:     <true>
Speed_game:     <true>
Use_los:        <true>
CD los:         <true>
CHRFONT:        <false>
Use_swap_stats: <true>
DM mail:        grweiss@phoenix.princeton.edu
Editor:         /local/X11R5/bin/xterm -geometry 80x24+0+0 -e /usr/ucb/vi
Server:         <true>
Port:           13326
Max_time:       120000
SunOS rogue 4.1.3 1 sun4m

I have a number of problems.  Right now, I'm just trying to run it
from my account, without any multi-player features yet.

When I run crossfire without the -pix option, it receives a SIGSEGV
right away, before opening the X window.  I have the Fontdir set to
my crossfire/fonts/misc directory, and it contains the two files:
-rw-r--r--  1 grweiss    223760 Feb 11 11:20 crossfire.pcf
-rw-r--r--  1 grweiss        26 Feb 11 11:20 fonts.dir

Well, I can bypass that problem by using the -pix command-line option.

When I start the game this way (crossfire -b -pix), I get the X window
looking fine and dandy, and then I run into a dead end when it asks me:

What is your name?
:Greg
That name is already in use.
What is your name?
:anything
That name is already in use.
What is your name?

No name is acceptable and I can't go on without answering this
question.  I've tried removing and adding the SAVE_HOMEDIR and
LOCK_PLAYER variables in include/config.h with no success.  I was able
to #undef SAVE_PLAYER and run the game (yea!) without the save file
ability, but I've had no success with it.  My current definitions:

#define SAVE_PLAYER

#ifdef SAVE_PLAYER /* The following have no meaning without SAVE_PLAYER */
#undef SAVE_HOMEDIR
#undef LOCK_PLAYER
#define USE_CHECKSUM
/* #define ENABLE_CHECKSUM */ /* Will be default in distant future versions */
#endif

#ifndef PLAYERDIR
#define PLAYERDIR "players"
#endif

I do have a players directory in my lib directory: crossfire/lib/players,
as well as in my home directory.

So, I tried using the -d and -debug command line options, which led to
further problems:

% crossfire -b -d -pix
Welcome to CrossFire, v0.89.2, copyright (C) 1992 Frank Tore Johansen.
Maintained locally by: grweiss@phoenix.princeton.edu
Questions and bugs should be mailed to the above address.
arch-pass 1...done
Setting up archetable...done
arch-pass 2...done
Reading bmaps...done (got 265704/836)
Building ximages...done
Opening add user socket on 0

SIGSEGV received.
Emergency save:  5?|6 (failed)
Cleaning up...

The sigsegv arrived several seconds after finishing opening the add
user socket and prompting me for a name, whether or not I typed
anything.

If I did manage to type in a name, it still didn't accept it, and it
gave me no error messages on stderr or stdout.

With all these problems, I've had the same behavior when trying to run
crossfire using crossfire -server and crossclient.

I tried compiling with the USE_CALLOC; still the same problems.

(One other thing that often crashed my no-save games; bashing
destructible walls led to the server getting a SIGSEGV.)

Any help or advice you could give me would be appreciated.
I acutally tried version 0.90 first, but I had problems with it, and
since it was marked as "ALPHA", I decided to try 0.89.2.
Unfortunately, that version wasn't much better.

  --Greg Weiss
    grweiss@phoenix.princeton.edu