Re: various ideas...

> From: David.M.Fisher@Dartmouth.EDU (David M. Fisher)
>
> 1) Player information directories, not just a file.  In this directory would
> be:
>   - the normal player data file
>   - a link to what the player considers "home"  (where he/she goes with the
> word of recall spell, and possibly other things)

Why do you want to create a directory?  You can put all this stuff in a
regular file (extra field(s) in the player data file).

IMHO, this is safer to put the link to the map in field of the player file
than to use a (symbolic) link.  This is easier to check for errors, invalid
relative paths and so on if the server can control the reference to the map.

>   - a description file, that is editable by the player.  This would allow
> life stories and interesting thoughts, promoting a little more
> individualization.  Sort of like a .sig/.plan./.project all rolled into
> one...

Cool idea.  There should be some commands in the client to allow for such
editing.  I don't like to have it in a separate file, for two reasons:
- if one plays from a distant host using a crossfire client, he probably
  cannot access the file directly.
- having a player edit the file directly could create some problems for
  security-conscious people :-)

> 2) About the player's home:
>
> For low-level players, this could just be a room at an inn or some such.
> Improvements might be things like a room in your guild (if you have one),
> your own house in town, a castle, etc.  All you'd need in the player
> directory would be a link to the appropriate spot, so that shouldn't be too
> difficult.  The rest of it would be normal map stuff.  There might be some
> issues regarding whether other players are allowed into that room or not, or
> any costs the player might bear for having a room, etc.
>
> I'd be willing (even anxious!) to work on this stuff, but I don't want to get
> started just to find out that it was considered not part of the game or some
> such thing...

This is very interesting.  But how will you prevent the thieves from
sneaking in the other players' homes?

-Raphael