Client binaries

If we use some kind of password protection for client-server interactions, we
need to distribute the clients as binaries.  Right, but is this really a
good thing?  If we follow this approach, we need to provide binaries for
different workstations with different versions of their operating system and
different realeases of X11.  That would lead to something like this:
- three to four versions for SUNs running various version of SunOS and Solaris
- two for DECs running Ultrix
- one or two for HPs running HP-UX
- at least one for IBMs running AIX
- maybe even one or two for i386 and i486 PCs running Linux
- ...

Now let's imagine that we will need to compile every version of the client
after each change made to the client.  Is this really rational?

I'd rather distribute the sources for the client, forget about encryption
and never do "sensible" things in the client...  Let's use the client for
display-related operations only (inventory, animations, map, ...)

-Raphael