Client-server stuffs

>>>>[From Mark Wedel]

     The server keeps track of all the data, including player data.  The only
    purpose the client holds is to handle the drawing of data.

Drawing of data, AND player interaction. You should make the client to
allow interesting keymaps, plus pull up inventory windows, etc without
draining the server processos.. In efect, "caching" inventory. That still
doesn't make for "super-powers", because if you try to apply something
not actually in your inventory, the server will get upset at you.

about the only possibility I see for a 'bot is to have something that
automatically dodges arrows. You are still limited by the server-defined
movement rate, so you're probably still not going to be able to dodge
lightning. and forget about ice storm. dodge code would more likely get
you stuck in a corner, anyways! :-)

An almost completely random  side track:

  How to securely allow portals.
  ------------------------------

Player wanders over to a map that is actually on ANOTHER SERVER.
* server1 pings server2 [accepted]
* server1 gives server2 expected special "server key"
* server1 uploads player character, (and EVERYTHING about player)
   to server2 (along with password)
   [and waits for accept signal]
* server1 informs client to switch server
* server1 waits for acknowledgement that new server information has been
    received by the client.
* server1 moves player to backup file, but effectively, player is not
   there any more. ("dead", to that server)

This of course is fairly net-intensive stuff, so admins shouldn't install
a portal on a main road, for example :-/

But you could make it interesting. The client could show "Oh no! You are
caught in a tornado!" animation while it waits :-)

This portal stuff requires that we EITHER
have unique initial-server keys in player names
OR
require that a character be already created, with the same password, on
"server2".

Hmmm... perhaps the second method would be the best way to go..
Although if we are nice, we would allow "creating" the character right
then, if it did not already exist.. Trouble is, what if you just happened
to choose a name on your home server that is used everywhere else?