Re: Is there anybody there?

> From: joe@unipress.com

> > Crossfire has to be re-programmed to use a client-server approach if we want
> > to have an efficient and really distributed program.  I'm not sure that the
> > intermediate versions will be easy to maintain if several people are working
> > on the project.
>
> I completely agree.  This is one thing that has stopped me from working on
> crossfire at all -- I think the design/protocol needs to be rethought.
>
> X protocol IMO is not efficient enough for this game, it needs it's own.
>
> --joe

 While it would be nice to have a client-server with its own protocol, I don't
think it should be our primary concern right now. We have a client and server
that (pretty much) works and I don't think X is too inefficient for the job.
I have run crossfire over a 9600bps serial link quite happily, so bandwidth
isn't a big problem. My big problem with using X as a protocol is that there is
no way that I'm allowing X through my firewall, but I would probably allow a
Crossfire protocol through.
 I think a proper client-server interface is something we should be discussing
and designing now, but getting a stable release out is of much higher priority.

Rupert
--
Rupert G. Goldie, Research Scientist                rgg@aaii.oz.au
Australian Artificial Intelligence Institute