Re: inventory lists - alternative display vs glyph

 First, messing with the foreground/background colors in the item
pixmap does nothing if running in XPM mode (likewise, changing the objects
color in maps/archetypes via the color commands does nothing either).  So
this is not really a good option.

 Doing any stippling the the items image is (IMHO) a bad idea.  many items
are re-drawn quite often, and having to re-do the stipple each time
probably isn't worth it.

 I don't know if we need to do a fancy display for cursed or damned
items (blessed items don't exist).

 Using colors for the text might be a reasonable idea (something like
red for cursed/damned items).  I still prefer the idea of some bitmap
for equipped items.  Locked items could use another image, and a combined
image could be used if it is both locked at equipped.

 Right now, the player has no idea if an item has been equipped or
worn, other from memory or by how the item is described (ie, something
like ring (Str+1) is obviously identified).  However, something like just
'ring' could either be non-identified or nonmagical.  The inventory
probably shouldn't be telling the player if something has been identified,
or equipped, etc.

 As for good support on non-color screens:  Right now, there are many
commands which are much more useful on color systems than black and
white (magic mapping).  While supporting the monochrome is good, I don't
think that a portion of the program should not look as nice as it could,
just so the display looks equal between monochrome and greyscale.