Re: CF: Bugs and suggestions

From: Preston.F.Crow@Dartmouth.EDU (Preston F. Crow)

[1-3. Problems with windows]

Probably not very high on TODO list. The code must be rewritten anyway
when doing the client/server split.

> 4.  Inventory weight is not always correct.  This seems to be rather
> intermitant, but occasionally it will say that I'm carrying a lot more
> than I am, and my speed will be reduced.

I remember that some older version (0.90.x) didn't fixed weight
correctly when buying or selling items (might be something to do
with containers, not sure). I haven't had time to play recently
so I don't know if it's fixed or not.

> 5.  Inventory display isn't always correct.  I've noticed sometimes
> after identifying some scrolls, several will display as being of the
> same type when they are different.

Never seen this, but identify doesn't combine objects in the same slot.
So if player has identified sword and unidentified one they don't
automatically go in the same slot after an identify spell. Dropping
them on the ground and picking up fixes this.

> 6.  It's too easy to cheat with the lack of an autosave: If you can
> crash the server, you can multiply your inventory by using multiple
> characters--just save each character while holding all your stuff
> before crashing the server.

If you can start the server then it much easier to cheat editing a
player file. And if can't start the server then it's much harder
to crash it.

> Suggestions:

> 1.  Pickup-by-weight/gold-ratio modes are effected by charisma, which
> makes it difficult to get consistent behaviour between characters.

Maybe or maybe not :). Player doesn't normally know the 'fixed' price
of object, just what (s)he would get if selling that item. So
weight/gold ratio is really personal. This mode is a little artificial
even it might be useful, IMHO.

> 2.  I should be able to program my character to automatically eat my
> food when I get hungry.

I disagree. I think this kind of thing don't belong to the server. If
client/server comes, then it's perfect client feature.

> 3.  I would like to be able to tell if a map has been "cleared."  This
> could be an automatic ability or a spell.  My idea would be that a map
> is "empty" if there are no generators or unfriendly monsters, no
> chests, and no items that I would pick up in my current pickup mode.

I thought sometimes that it would be nice feature to get extra experience
when whole level is cleared. So it would be useful to kill all monster
and not just run and collect treasures. But the physical map and
map what player see isn't the same thing, so it would be very hard
to implemented correctly. And your proposal seems some what too easy if
tresures and chest are included. It might be reasonable to detect the
_moving_ monster, but hard to implemented.

> 4.  As to the client-server model, I suggest that the client should
> have as much flexibility as possible without being able to cheat.
> Ideally, things like macros and pickup modes should be entirely on the
> client side (though saved in the character file on the server in some
> sort of "pass this to the client" field).

I agree, but client options are saved in the client side not the
server side (But I don't want to start the pointless client/server
discussion)

> 5.  I really like the idea of being able to deny use of a door or
> gateway based on character level.

This has been my TODO list a long time ;). Hopefully someone
implements it.

> 6. It would be nice if there was some way to unsell items that you didn't
> mean to sell in a shop without paying the extraordinary markup.

As Mark already said, very hard to implemented in the multiplayer game.
I have some ideas how it could be done, but not any easy solution.

> It would be nice if there was some way to disable applying items inside
> open containers.

Should close_container object be first also in normal containers, not
only sacks on the ground? If you haven't test this then drop
the sack on the ground and apply it. I didn't use close_container sacks
which are in inventory because it fills one slot from look window. And
the look window is already small. It's easy to implement if players
like it better.

> 7.  I would like some more auto-xxx modes, like auto-open-chests,
> auto-attack-neighboring-unfriendly-monsters-and-generators.

Not in server, only for the client side, IMHO.

> 9.  I can't believe that the dragon transport and ships are FREE!
> Maybe there should be a toll.

Interesting idea, must consider this more!

> 10. Charisma is dumb. The obvious thing to do is create an elf with a
> max charisma to do all the trading for the party.

Yes, charisma is little dump but still I don't see why everyone has
so big problems with it. If you want to cheat then you can do it anyway.

 -Tero