Re: 0.92 Bug? (and other)

> A few more thoughts:  As I recall, you need the gravestone to bring
>a character back to life.  That means that after the map is reset, or
>the gravestone is destroyed, that character is dead permantly.  As such,
>it might not be unreasonable for crossfire to delete all .dead files in
>the player directory when it starts up.

> It also does mean, that if a player dies, and the server starts back up
>immediately (because it crashed), then that gravestone would no longer be
>around.  So you really could have permantly dead characters pretty easily.

How about saving gravestones to the map when a player dies? I think it would
be pretty cool to enter a place, and see 20 or so gravestones scattered
around the room, a BIG door and a handle with the inscription "Don't.". This
could of course be done by the creator of the map, but if you first talk to
the person, and he says "I'm embarking on a quest to find the Lost Hammer of
Souls, wanna come?" and then afterwards find his gravestone it makes the game
a lot more fun.

This would of course mean that one has to remove the apply-info-thingie on
gravestones, and use the (logically correct) (E)xamine. To enable you to have
the possibility of applying doors with the keyboard when there is a gravestone
lying on top of them.

> What would be interesting (but not what I want to code), is a graveyard
>map, and each time a person dies, another gravestone is put on the map
>(what might be easiest is to have a whole mess of gravestones which
>are then blank, and then update the gravestone with the proper message).
>Then, anytime someone dies, a gravestone is created in the graveyard, and
>this file is saved back as a permant addition.  Likewise, people could wander
>in and see everyone that has died for quite a while.

This could be cool, but who should put the gravestones there? If you die in
the Secret Treasury of Shallambar the Great Vortex Dragon, I think the
gravestone STAYS there until someone slays Shallambar and retrieves the
gravestone.

What I would suggest is an undertaker's shop, so that the people who find
the gravestone may buy various monuments to honor their lost comrade. This
would indeed add a lot of flavour to the game. You drop the stone on a
special square in the shop, and drop money on the altar (goldfloor?) in front
of the monument you wish to have on the grave. Then, the monument is placed
on a special map linked to the church or whereever the townsfolk wish to have
their graveyard. The map is then saved. Now THERE's a GRAVEYARD.

Another idea: Skip the .dead-files. Put all the info required to resurrect
the character in his gravestone when he dies. Then, if the gravestones
are permanently saved to the map, one can pick them up at any time and
take them back to town for resurrection(/proper burial).

> First, flags in maps that tell it to save changes back permantly, and
>not in /tmp, would need to be added.

Would that be hard to implement? If you're only going to save the gravestone(s)
and nothing else?

>This flag would also be needed for
>safety deposit boxes and banks.  An easy solution to that would be to have
>some unique key that allows the player to pass through the door, but doesn't
>destroy it.  thus, only he can get to his stuff (and if he dies, whoever
>finds that key and the matching door.)

How about magic ears, so that the person can have a password-protected deposit
box? The map contains the counter, a clerk and 4 'rooms' for picking up items.
You say the password, and the door you chose to stand in front of opens.
Inside, there is a small button on the floor, and another door. When you step
on the button, the door behind you closes, and the one in front of you opens.
Inside, there is a teleporter. This teleporter teleports you to the map/box
associated with the password at the first door. In the 'box' (say a room 4x4)
there is a teleporter back to the bank.

> One problem with banks and deposit boxes I have, is that characters could
>die an no one claim the stuff.  Maps could become filled with junk as
>this happens.

I thought I posted on this... Items not retrieved within one week of the
players death are put out for sale. (and the box-map deleted)

- Regards, Bjorn.