Rewrite (was Re: Classes, Race, Experience proposal)

> I think this re-writing needs to be done. I'd be happy to play the current
> version for 4 or 5 months while all this re-writing was going on. I think
> a major spring-clean needs to be done at some point, and this does seem
> like the ideal opportunity to start all this, as several people have pointed
> out now. In fact, it's getting quite tiring having to update our local software
> once every two weeks, as I have to do at the moment :-)
>
> Sy

The fact that new versions are coming out every few weeks is a good reason
for not doing a major rewrite. At the moment lots of people are putting in
lots of creative energy in adding new features. Until that slows down it is
not worth doing a rewrite because the code will have to be frozen or else
the rewritten version will come out and several months worth of new features
will have to be added in some how.

 A rewrite is also a major task. It would have to be done by a number of very
committed people who know what they are doing. Unless the crossfire code is
totally unmanageable ( and I don't think it is ) I don't think there is much
value in doing a total rewrite.

Rupert