Re: Classes, race, experiece.

> The reason I really don't like different skill areas is that players
>will quickly figure out (or look at the code) what to do in order to
>get EXP in that area.  I remember there was an old game for the Apple ][
>which had such a system.  It didn't take me that long to figure out, and I
>had my cleric casting spells on the other people, always had the theif
>look for traps, and so on.  I don't know if this would be good or bad
>for crossfire.  I think what would happen is it would start to get abused.
>Things like a medium level fighter wants to raise is magic using ability,
>so he wonders into some fairly easy area, and starts casting burning
>hands or whatever on everyone.  Gets that experience, even though he could
>do a better job by killing them in hand to hand.
>
> --Mark

Mark, can you expand on this? I'm not sure I understand why you think
it's a bad idea. . . .

Using the example you listed above . . . . yes, the fighter could wade
in and pound heads with his axe (preferred weapon for myself :), but
if he's in there practicing magic, then he deserves to advance in the
'magical realm', regardless of the fact that he would have an easier
time bashing the ogre heads with his aforementioned axe.

Anyway, just wanting you to clarify . . . .

-brett