Re: hps of classes

The question being posed is:

	"Why should a wizard with the same CON as a barbarian
	 not have the same number of hit points?"

Most replies have said they think it would be bad if hps depended on your
class as well as your CON. I disagree.

A wizard is someone who is naturally more attuned to the mystic arts.
He concentrates on developing his mastery over magic, all other skills
being secondary to this. A fighter may be as intelligent as this wizard,
but because the wizard deals with magic BY TRADE, ie it is his way of life,
then the wizard should have a MUCH better command over magic than the fighter.
So, wizards should have more spell points than fighters with the same INT.
Conversely, a fighter devotes his life to developing his weapons skills and
his physical prowess. This goes beyond just how fit he is. Seeing as this is
the area that the fighter is concentrating in, he should do more damage than
any other class, even with the same strength. He should also have more hps
than any other class, even with the same con.

Someone mentioned AD&D. Wizards are said to be much weakened by the fact that
they have few hps. Why do you think this should be? It is because that in AD&D
wizards would be more powerful than ALL the other classes, and unbalance the
game if it were not so.

It has been pointed out however that a lot of people play the game solo,
and that this would make playing an individual class much more difficult.
So, why not make the differences between the classes not so great as to
make them impossible to play on their own? At the moment there is little
advantage in playing a mixed party - my barabarian could have all the stats
and abilities of my friends wizard, and vice versa. Why not make the class
differences count for more - just enough to make the choice of class
actually matter!? I personally think that choosing to be a wizard should mean
you will always have a better command over magic, but you should never be
as dangerous or robust in melee as a fighter. Similarly I think a fighter
should know his physical prowess and weapons skills will never be matched by
anyone except another fighter, while he should be resigned to the fact that
his grip on all things magical will never compete with that of a magic user.

These changes should be easy enough to implement, in fact to be honest I'm
surprised it isn't already like this in Crossfire. I'd also favour priests
and clerics getting class bonuses for things like turning undead, healing
spells and protection spells - lets make the differences between the classes
more interesting than just having a different icon!!

Sy

Crossfire on the web - http://www.cm.cf.ac.uk:/Crossfire/

Simon N. McIntosh-Smith, PhD candidate    |  Email : Simon.N.Smith@cm.cf.ac.uk
Room M/1.36 Department of Computing Maths |  Phone : +44 (0)222 874000
University of Wales, College of Cardiff   |  Fax   : +44 (0)222 666182
PO Box 916, Cardiff, Wales, CF2 4YN, U.K. |  Home  : +44 (0)222 560522
       Http : http://www.cm.cf.ac.uk:/People/Simon.Smith.html