Dragons scales and Enchantment scrolls

Hi,
	After killing my first ever fire-breathing dragon and gaining a dragon  scale + an Enchant Weapon scroll, I've found to my disappointment that when I
dropped the scale on a smithies dragon shield anvil I still had to pay the      normal price for that shield. Surely if this is the case I might as well sell
the scale and buy the shield when I see it in a shop. Also the scroll requires
the weapon to be prepared before it can be used. I've seen a few references to
prepare weapon scrolls in the messages on this archive so I obviously need to obtain one of them. However, the messages also mention that prepare scrolls also need potions/diamonds? So could someone explain all this as I'm a tad confused by it all.
Cheers, a fellow dragon-slayer...8-).