Re: client server part 1

Mark Wedel <master@rahul.net> said:
 |  There are serveral goals of client/sever:
 |
 | 1) To make it a low bandwidth protocol (sufficiently low so that it
 | 2) To keep a smart client, but assumed unsecure client.
 | 3) To keep things relatively simple in coding standards.
yep*3

 |  I don't see how using absolute map coordinates enable the client
It does not. But it does as you say dive some stuff away.  Its a nitpick,
but you still have to generate relative ones to do checks on movement
correctness, which counts for nothing.

 |  STACKING:  This is one of the few commands which does make the
The only effect this has is sort of like a choke on the data sent.
SOrt of the client saying i am going to ignore evything past here
anyway so dont send it.

 | VIEWRANGE & HEARRANGE: There server (at least now) will never le the
 | client know about something than an 11x11 map (to do so would greatly
 | change teh game, and give some clients huge advantages).  I can't think
I was thinking that stuff like sounds would be useful on a level type
size, for example:
  "You hear a roar far to the north."
I know this can be sent as text, still I just thought I would mention
it :-).

 | MAP: ranges will be  pain to do on the server side (the server then
But bandwidth is the thing that will slow it down, I would say.
Flooding out in rectangles is not too hard for the server to do and I
would have thought that as much of the map is blocks then thats cool.
But if you do not intend to retransmit each frame (which is why one
can assume a smart client) then you dont really need this anyyway I
guess.

 |  ATTACK:  Attacking is not a true command.  Right now, an attack hapens
 | when you try to move into an unfriendly creature.  That is how it
 | should remain.
Yeah. True, as I said, the whole thing was stream of flu filled mind.
I was just thinking about all those tavern people I keep running into
and then have to kill :-)

 |  GENERAL NOTE: I've look over the Protocol file, and for the most
Yeah, I think it will work too, I was just suggesting some
possibilities.

Another is to keep x,y but allow items to be of the form:
ITEM wood_floor 1,1 2,2 3,3 4,4
this would reduce the bandwidth a bit over large refeshes.

 |  --Mark
cam

--
`Rev Dr' cameron.blackwood@rdt.monash.edu.au,    << skeptic, virtual goth >>
  +61 3 905 3403/809 1523      >> BSD Unix, C/C++, genetics, vi, ATM, HW  <<