Re: Misc thoughts.

In message <199410130245.AA02823@bolero.rahul.net>, Mark Wedel writes:
> ACtually, the starting stats bonuses/penalties do determine the max for
>that stat (it is 20 + bonus).  Thus, a barbarian (with penalty 6 int I believe
>)
>can have a max int of 14 naturally.  Magical items can still raise it above
>this.
>
> Other notes:
>Improve weapons:  Having quests that raise it is an interesting idea.  The
>way to limit this would only allow a player through the quest once.  Some

No, let them through several times.  Just don't give them the improvement
at the end, multiple times.  Experience is not to be sneezed at.
Put the END object behind a once-only portal, maybe, however, once-only
quests are bad, IMHO.  This allows the hozerishness of clearing a place
with strong characters and having a weak character come through later, for
the benefit.  Perhaps an "allowed to receive benefit" tag could be placed
in a character entering at some random place, and only that character
would then be able to pick up the prize at the end.

> Differing skills systems:  Hard coding it is a lot easier.  But there
>is no reason that hter can only be 4.  Just add some define with
>the nubmer of skills, and add code where appropriate to adjust the
>experience of the skills.  If a skill system is adopted, there will always
>need to be at least some code support that needs to be added.

4 skills has the advantage of adding balancing while still being
relatively simple.....  Also, the fighter/mage/cleric/thief splits of
skill just make lots of sense to me.  Enough, but not going gonzo with
millions of obscure skills.

>creatures.  This should probably be a spell ability, and not natural
>abilty, and thus, conjurers should not be able to summon a creature in
>an anti magic area.)

This makes sense, but monsters are so much stupider that it sort of
makes sense to give them this advantage.

> OTher thoughts:  Spells which replace potions should be few and
>far between.  REstoration is a nice spell, buy why would you ever
>buy a potion of restoration when a scroll of it is cheaper.  Heal is
>a handy spell, but with the price of healing potions, I cant ever see

Truth, the solution is simple, bring the price of those potions into line.

>buying one.  And there is at least one quest where you can get an immunity
>to fire spellbook (which means that you have no need for potions of
>fire resistance.)

Perhaps the immunity spellbooks should not exist anywhere.  Mapmakers
might still make use of runes of immunity, however.

>Hp/SP regeneration: One thing that is wrong is that you gain these
>back based upon your speed.  Thus, if you are really slow, you will gain
>hp and sp back slower (so taking off armor gains sp in 2 ways - you probably
>will be moving faster, plus armor reduces the rate.)  This should probably
>be fixed so that you gain at the same rate no matter what your speed
>is.

I second this!  Speed should be irrelevant!

Regards,

PeterM