Re: Misc thoughts.

> >> Gee, how about a 4-class split?  :)  We can then balance the game
> >> easily by making it very hard to advance as a mage (takes a LOT of exp
> >> from killing with spells to advance) and relatively easier for
> >> fighters.

I think Moria got this part of the game about right and I'd like to see
crossfire adopt a similar system. I haven't reached very high levels in
crossfire yet [my playing time is RSI limited :-( ] but I did play Moria
at the highest level a few years ago and I found it was quite well balanced.

In Moria your *race* affects the experience thresholds needed to get to
higher levels. The rationale is that short lived creatures like humans
gain experience fairly easily but have no special abilities. Elves are
very long lived creatures that have special abilities (see invisible),
are magic users and good fighters, and are the hardest characters
to keep alive to start with, since they need loads of exp to go up a
level. Other character types fall between these extremes. It is also
much harder to make wizards strong enough to be fighters, or fighters
intelligent enough to be good magic users. Priest magic books and mage
magic books can only be used by certain classes. (even intelligent
Barbarians can't read!).

I also think the per-character stat adjustments made when you create a
character should be permanent offsets. If the general (human)
maximum is reduced from 30 to 25 then only classes that have a +5 bonus
for a stat could reach 30. This would reduce the absolute
maximum intelligence of a barbarian to 17 for example, and would boost
the max intelligence for a Quetzacoatl to 30.

Once a barbarian - always a barbarian :-)

Regards Adrian (Legolam the Elf of Moria)

Adrian Cockcroft - adrian.cockcroft@corp.sun.com - Mailstop: UPAL1-431
SMCC Product Marketing Engineering - Phone 415 336 0615 - Fax 415 336 0648
Sun Microsystems, 2550 Garcia Avenue, Mountainview, CA 94043, USA