Status of xfire. Client/server 3d.

Hello.

   So is anyone working on a client/server versoin of crossfire?  We
talked about this a while back, and it seemed like there was interest.

I have been thinking about doing a client/server version of it
for a while, and may get started on it.  I was also thinking
of redoing the interface, make it 3D.  Much like Ulitma Underworld
or Doom.

I have been playing around with a program called net3d which is
pretty cool.  It is a client server 3D game that you can fly a
helicopter around in, I was fairly impressed with it, and
I think that something like that can be modified with some
work to support a crossfire type game.

As I have stated before, I really enjoy crossfire, but due to
the speed (mainly) I find it unplayable in the long term
sense.  I would like to see crossfire make the change from
single process to client/server, and also I would like to see
it evolve from 2D to 3D.

I look at it like this: if you take crossfire, mix it with Doom
and a MUD, you get a game that I would love to play.  So I am going
to try to write one.

If anyone is currently working on the xfire client/server model, please
let me know.

Karim

karim@ecst.csuchico.edu