Re: Create Missile -- This won't work

In message "Re: Create Missile -- This won't work",
'Tero.Haatanen@tel.vtt.fi' writes:

>> int cast_create_missile(object *op, int dir, char *stringarg)
>
>>   if (weap==NULL)                                missile_name = "arrow";
>>   else if (!strcmp(weap->race,"crossbow bolts")) missile_name = "bolt";
>>   else if (!strcmp(weap->race,"arrows"))         missile_name = "arrow";
>>   else                                           missile_name = "arrow";
>
>No, don't do that. The code should handle everything through archetypes
>and not hardcode things in the code. In some maps there might be special
>bow and special arrows just for that bow, or someone can add a sling and
>wonder why a spell can't create sling bullets.

   Well, I don't think there will be that many missiles.  BOW, CROSSBOW,
SLING, what else?  And it's not that hard to track it down.  With the
structure being common across all things, it's kind of hard trying to
figure out which fields are available.

>>   if (missile_plus > 4)
>>     missile_plus = 4;
>
>Is anyone else thinking the whole spell a little ridiculous? Just
>when there is some advantage for fighters, then instantly there's
>also spell, which turns this advantage to the upside down. The
>highest magic bonus for normal arrows is only +3 and they aren't
>so easy to find. And I generally don't like this kind of a spell
>which creates weapons (players could even sell these arrows). There
>are already many missile spells (magic/large bullet, fire/frost bolt,
>lightning and comet spells), so why not leave bows for fighters and
>let wizards have their spells.

   Actually, eventhough I like the idea of not restricting usage of items
and casting spells to any particular classes, I find the balance a little
off.  Example, one of the highest playing character at our site is a
magic-user with an enchanted Taifu.  I would expect that he would have
problem _using_ the Taifu, but he doesn't.

>I think the best way to fix this spell is remove it totally. If you
>really want to keep it, then the only way fix it, is add to bow an extra
>information for archetype used as a default missile (one bow can be used
>to shoot multiple archetypes). And change maximum magic bonus to 0 or
>+1, but not higher. But I still think that these type spells don't make
>it easier to get balance between fighters and wizards.

   Well, if higher item failure rate is put on for classes that shouldn't
be able to used them, then maybe the spell can be useful (not directly but
as a group; ex: a fighter might ask the magic-user to create arrows
for him/her, instead of carrying it)

>  -Tero

Regards,

 __  __/  /   /   __  /    |   /    Tuan T. Doan
    /    /   /   /   /   / |  /     IEC Layer Testing and Advance Technology
   /    /   /   __  /   /  | /      2201 Lakeside Blvd.  P.O. Box 833871
__/  ______/ __/ __/ __/  __/       Richardson, TX 75083-3871
"It's a kind of magic" -Highlander  Phone: 6-444-4575/214-684-4575
Internet:  tdoan@bnr.ca             Fax:   6-444-3716/214-684-3716