Re: weapons and stat list

    In message <199410140415.VAA00457@soda.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>, Philip Brown writes:
    >Personally, I think it's ludicrous that a weapon could raise your
    >intelligence, or anything else not directly related to fighting.

    Basically what you just said boils down to:  "weapons should not
    have stat bonuses but only damage bonuses".

Not quite. There is more than one factor in weapons use:
damage, to-hit, speed-of-attack.

    I do not find it "ludicrous" that a weapon can raise your intelligence,
    since the *only* function of intelligence in this game is to set the
    number of spellpoints.

Exactly. SPELLPOINTS. If you're going to have ssomething help magic
users, it should be something related to that purpose:
A wand of spell magnification
A helm of intelligence.
ring of dexterity
boots of dexterity

etc.

  Why couldn't a weapon function as a talisman of power?

The short answer: because it gets a whole bunch of magic-users walking
around with Sooper-Swords.

The long answer: because an object is magiced for a purpose.
I actually would have no problem if a weapon was used as a magic-user
"talisman of power"... IFFFFF.. it didn't have any combat bonuses :-)
In other words, it would be a wand that happened to be in a more useful
shape for slicing up things :-)

    Or be a holy weapon, and make you more effective at praying?  (Wis +)

That one I MIGHT think acceptible. But I'm not decided yet :-)