Re: Using extra characters

On Tue, 11 Apr 1995, Ken Woodruff wrote:

> Laurent Wacrenier writes:
>
> >  - a lot of people have already bank characters with a lot of
> >    charisma for buying and keeping theyre stuffs, now the same will
> >    have also clerics and wizards to avoid object identification.
>
> This seems to be a nearly universal behavior--and I think it clearly
> goes against original game intent.

The orginal game intent seems to be hack'n slash from Gauntlet,
and everything that makes better hack'n slash, like banker to
carry and buy stuff, makes game better in that direction.

But if the idea nowdays is to make one player to concentrate one character
at time, then it's good to restrict multiple characters for one player.

> I have a suggestion for reducing
> the profitability of this behavior, and thereby eliminating it (hopefully):
> Keep a record of the player who owns a given object, even after it's
> dropped.  When another player picks up the object, reduce its value
> by, say, 50%.  This reduction in price can be akin to the loss of value for
> "used" items versus new items.  Thus if your ugly wizard drags some booty
> home for your lovely swashbuckler to sell, when the wizard transfers
> it to the swashbuckler it loses enough value in the exchange that the
> net profit would be comparable to the wizard selling the stuff himself.
> An exchange from your playing character to your identifying character and
> back would effectively reduce the value 75%.

Too complex and artificial.

The item has it's value not depending of who has used it.

Just restrict the connection from the server to one client/display.
So there is one character to one player/display. But, please, support
"-test" flag to start crossfire on test mode for testing in map
design, where the connections are not restricted.

-- <A HREF="http://www.lut.fi/~hevi/">The Page</A> --