Crossfire client "security"

Eric writes:
> I think we should make an effort to get [the client/server code]
> all done before people start adding other nifty things.  Point in fact,
> the protocol used in the client doesn't support any sort of lighting
> operations, and you'll want to think about the problem of if lighting makes
> things hard to see, then you can't send the client good information about
> what is really there or people will just have the client display the
> map as though lighting didn't exist.

Are we really that worried about people cheating by hacking their
clients?  Lighting code is intended to make the game more fun to
look at and play--why would someone explicitly disable it?  I think
getting the protocol functional should be a higher priority than
making it secure.  As long as Crossfire is distributed in source
form we'll never achieve true security, and I don't think anyone
wants to take responsibility for building the binaries for every
system out there.

--Ken