Graphics via crossfire

I just started playing crossfire and have a question about the way
graphics are drawn.  If the XPM library is unavailabe, does the
program need all of the pixmaps at once?  If not, I'd like to save
some space by compressing them.  Also, since I do not currently have
access to the font directory, I was wondering if I could install a
supplementary font directory (yes this is space inefficient, but the
admin here doesn't limit our space).  Also, what are archetypes?

If anyone needs maps playtested, I'd be glad to help.