Re: processor speed

[Guy W]

|   Does anyone know how much processor speed is needed for a 4 or
|   more player game. I have a 486sx3/75 IBM Blue Lightning CPU with
|   20 Megs of RAM running Linux. It runs fine with two players and I
|   am thinking about putting it on the net but it is a hassle and I
|   only want to do it if it is powerful enough. If its not, which
|   would be better more RAM or a faster cpu (maybe one with an
|   integrated NPU.)

Hmm, floating point used to be an issue, as a lot of floating point
adds were done to keep track of the speeds of all the objects. I don't
think this has been fixed. (On modern RISC machines, it may actually
be good to let it stay floating point, so that you take advantage of
both execution paths...)

Except for that, Crossfire is mainly a RAM and network hog. A 12 MB
crossfire process should be able to handle about six players, at a
guess.

Kjetil T.