Re: From c to c++

On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, W.E.B wrote:

> 	I'm working with a group of students here at the University of
> Nevada Reno who'd like to port crossfire to c++. I realize it's under the
> GNU license but would like to hear from some of the people working on it.
>
> If this becomes a reality it would be an upper divisional class in
> porting using crossfire as an example. With any luck, the class would
> first abstract the code into some general classes and then address the
> issues of static versus dynamic code. There are plenty of topics which
> crossfire implements and is an excellent model to be divided up. Hopefully
> the system would be easier to expand and maintain if we were to do a job
> well done.
>
> If you have some ideas/suggestions we'd be very pleased to hear them.

 * first task is to get a base on c++, meaning the code can
   be compiled with c++-complier. It's quite straightforward
   work thanks to ansi-c. And then get development package out.

 * the set of c++ features should be decided, most complilers
   provides templates, but exception handling is still uncomplete
   in many compilers eg. g++-2.7.2 and what libraries to use;
   STL is nice and available with libg++, but how other development
   environments.

 * instead of full rewriting (unless you feel you have unlimited amount
   of energy :) I suggest increamental modification, for example
   considering the object/monster structure and using still same
   user interface.

<A HREF="http://www.lut.fi/~hevi/">Petri.Heinila@lut.fi</A>