Re: Sounds (various ideas - long)

> No, an extra attribute "sound" is needed. I think it should be made
> somewhat like treasure, so that it can be "programmed".
>
> lib/sound:
> sound jessy
>    hit     file=swoosh.au  vol=40              pri=2;\
>            file=bang.au    vol=80              pri=1
>    move    file=clank.au   vol=30              pri=9
>    random  file=swear.au   vol=50  chance=.01  pri=3
>    random  file=flutter.au vol=50  chance=.1   pri=3
> end

Just make one more level indirection and remove .au from each sound
and have that mapping done lower level (like images: bag.111 ->
bag.111.xpm or bag.111.bitmap).  Probably there should be more
general way to define how objects react specific events.  Since
sounds are optional part, it would be little odd that when jessy
hits (or is hit?) there are easy way to change sound, but there is no way
to send any text or change bitmap or doing some other basic thing like
that.

> Now the map designer can add "sound owls" to some of his trees.

That was my idea also.  But i think you need other parameter also,
how large area the sound is heard and that should be able also add
to each objects.

> It might be nice to be able to change some of the sound parameters in
> the individual objects, but I don't think we need further bloat in the
> object structure...

If I understand rigth what you are saying then that can be achieved by
adding the more bloat to lib/sound file ;).

   -Tero