Server List?? and questions

> Hello! I've just started playing Crossfire. I have a few questions. I
> have a server list dated 6/16/95 Only 2 of the servers on the list
> seem to be active.  The one at Berkeley seems to crash alot :(  any
> ideas?? also does anyone know of other servers??  Are there any tips

Well, the only server I've been able to connect to is the Berkeley
one, and it was very slow even during non-peak hours.  Now that I have
a decent machine of my own (Pentium 90 running ELF Linux, 16 MB RAM,
PCI Ethernet, plenty of disk), I am thinking of starting my own server
(based in Blacksburg, VA (USA)).  Is anyone interested?  I know *I* am
tired of playing by myself.  But note that I won't have an active
Ethernet connection for my machine until some time in August (at the
earliest).  And I do intend to get some (computational) work done on
this machine, so I may have to restrict the games hours somewhat if
the load is too high.

Now, a question addressed to Mark, Brian, and the others (whose names
I forget at the moment) who know about this stuff: what exactly is
involved in setting up a server?  (Well, before I get flamed for not
RTFM, I am asking for info other than what is included in the docs
already.)  My impression is that the eutl package is not required but
is a more sophisticated option for the client/server code.  Is this
correct?  What are its benefits/drawbacks (as opposed to just using
"crossclient" etc.)?  Just how much hardware (especially RAM) is
needed to run a modest server?  Also, I like to use the pixmaps and
sounds since I have the appropriate libs/hardware.  I recall reading
in the docs somewhere that the server does not currently support
"exporting" the pixmap data to a client, so each client would have to
have their own copy of the pixmaps (and sounds) if they want to use
them, right?  (I would think it would be too much of a load to export
that stuff anyway.)  Just how much load (I am mostly concerned about
RAM, which I won't have the money to upgrade for a few months at
least) does a client add?  Does it depend on whether the clients are
using pixmaps and/or sounds?  Can I reasonably expect to run a modest
server (say, up to 4 people at once) on a 16 MB machine (about 13 MB
of "usuable" memory after kernel, daemons, gettys, shells, etc. are
loaded)?

-Michael