firebrand gone wrong?

Has anyone else had problems with archetypes going a bit wrong?
My relatively low-level character (lvl 10) just found Firebrand,
and I thought "Great!", the first really decent piece of
weaponry I'd found so far. But then I tried taking on some
demons and all I kept getting was "you missed the demon" - I
couldn't hit them at all. I did better if I wielded nothing
and hit them with my bare hands! It also wouldn't hit any
earthwall, which was really inconvenient. Other creatures
(low-ish level) it was mowing through very nicely.

Anyone have any idea what is going on? Surely Firebrand has
a physical attack as well as a fire attack? This is all
happening with 0.91.8 with no whacky patches applied,
compiled under Solaris 2.4 and X11R5 using gcc etc etc.
(Going to try compiling under X11R6 sometime in the
next two weeks!)

Simon