Re: An "easy" MU/Fighter balance fix?

In message <"19799 Thu Jun 15 16:34:13 1995"@bnr.ca> , "tuan (t.) doan" writes:
>In message "Re: An "easy" MU/Fighter balance fix?",

>   Hmm...then why have any classes or races; why not have just one and the
>skill of the player depends on what the player does.  Or perhaps you feel
>that classes/races only contributes to the initial characteristics of
>a character; which is a good assumption but an unrealistic one.

  Having one type of player would forbid having inborn immunities,
inborn vulnerabilities, inborn affinity to magic, and
inborn fighting characteristics such as size and strength.

  Does it not seem intuitive to you that a human would be general,
and elf weaker physically but more capable magically, a fireborn
immune to fire but vuln. to cold and a strong spellcaster, etc?

  But why should different different types of humans have different
BASE characteristics?  Is there a subrace of humanity which has
a 30% higher intelligence?

>   Races could served as inborn abilities and determine the initial
>characteristic of a player while classes can served at how well a particular
>character may advance in a particular skill/characteristics.  It is the

  Well, why have classes?  How do you work?  You have some inborn
predilections, but do you not improve at what you practice?  All I'm
saying is, so what if you're called a "cleric": if you smash things
with your mace all the time you'll become very good at smashing things
with your mace, but no better at praying.

>   Personally, I think there will be a balance and it will be determined not
>by the people doing the coding/designing of the game but the players.  The
>best design is one that allow flexible changes dictated by the players.

  I've gotten so little feedback from players that I doubt they're much
interested in giving the game a direction, in general.  They just play.
The ones who DO care end up on this mailing list and begin coding if they
want changes, or make maps.

>   I think for starter we can experiment with the 4 classes/races because
>of its simplicity.  However, if your design/coding is flexible enough to
>allow expansion of additional classes/races, it would be great.

  Races would be objects.  All players would have all 4 skill divisions,
just in varying degree depending on what they do.  In practice,
they'd have a MU-EXPERINCE, a CLERIC-EXPERIENCE, a Fighter, and thief.
What "class" you'd be would depend on what you did.  I'm going to forward
you (tuan) a copy of my class-proposal from long ago--if i can find it.

PeterM