Re: Starting at levels greater than 1

[First, a little note: when I replied to Tuan's message, I forgot to add a CC
 to this list.  I realized that when I saw his reply and I didn't see my
 message.  Ahem.  I was inattentive.  Fortunately, he quoted a large part of
 my message in his reply, so you already got a part of it.  Here is the other
 part, which comes after my "See below." quoted in Tuan's reply.]

On Sat, 3 Jun 1995, Petri Heinila <hevi@lut.fi> wrote:
> If starting level feature is made, please make it as a runtime
> option in archetypes, like expanding the object map into world:
>
>   Object world
[...]
>     level 10            # starting level from 0 to 10
>     attacktype          # 1 for random encounters, 2 for notpermadeath, etc
>   end

Yes.  The maintainer of one server should be responsible for setting the
maximum level at which players can start, because some set of maps are very
different from the standard maps, and it may be harder to gain experience
on these maps.

If a player has the key for a level higher than the limit allowed on the
server, then the key would be accepted, but a warning would be displayed.
For example: "Although you have the key for level 20, you are starting at
level 10 because this limit is enforced by the server".  OR, if you prefer
shorter messages: "Starting at level 10 (maximum allowed)".

On Mon, 5 Jun 95, woodruff@cadence.com (Ken Woodruff) wrote:
> I'm not sure if archetypes are the solution but I definitely agree
> that it's much better to make the various options currently controlled
> by config.h at compile time run time options controlled by a config
> file read at start up. [...]
> The only advantage I can see for the compile time control is some slight
> execution speed optimizations, but these are slight at best.

I agree.  Having more options controlled by a config file read at start up
(not compiled in) will help a lot when you are testing new options or
customizing a server.  It will also help the "true" client-server version:
if some options that could affect the behaviour of the client are also read
by the server at start up, they can be sent to the client when it connects
to the server.  And maybe this would prevent some problems that could arise
if an "old" client connects to a server running a newer version of Crossfire.

-Raphael
|    WWW: http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~quinet (with preview of DEU 5.3) |
| E-mail: Raphael.Quinet@eed.ericsson.se or quinet@montefiore.ulg.ac.be     |
| S-mail: Raphael Quinet, 9 rue des Martyrs, 4550 Nandrin (Belgium)         |