Re: Weapon Skills (was Re: Skills hack)

In message <9503131621.AA07248@pluto>, Ken Woodruff writes:

>Part of this discussion seems to be a reinvigoration of the Magic-User/Fighter
>balance problem, the difference this time being how to empower the fighters
>rather than how to cripple the MUs.  On this subject, and the subject of skill

Bad things about tying a fighters skills to one weapon:

1)  We would need to add a new skill for each weapon and maintain
    a skill level for each player for each weapon.  complexity++.

2)  It would suck to know one weapon very well and know others only a
    little.  When you find that Super Artifact and it is an Axe but
    you know swords, you lose.  This sucks.

3)  You force each player to keep track of his skill levels in all the
    weapons.  Some players LIKE spending a lot of time looking at
    their players stats, but *I* like to explore, not bookkeep.  IMHO
    it makes the game less fun.  complexity++.

>It seems unnatural to me that any character can pick up any sort of weapon
>and immediately use it to it's full efficiency.  A rapier, for example, requir

Tell me what is natural about playing a Wraith to go beat up on Goblins,
trolls, and Faerie Dragons.  The game is supposed to be fun, not realistic.
Let us not lose the playing simplicity by installing a morass of skills
and bookkeeping.

Regards,

PeterM