Re: Crossfire Races

Also sprach Colin:
> I have crossfire 92.0 running from my account
> as a development exercise.
>
> Locally we found that the game was grossly unbalanced towards
> low level fighters and high level mages.

Hmmm... Not really if you are used to playing mages.

> The problem was a fighter could become a mage at higher levels
> purely by using potions and rings, this struck me and a few other
> people as pointless you could go up to twenty-fifth level build
> a super weapon and from then on the game was boring...

Yep.

> So we modified the archetypes such that high level fighters still
> have difficulty casting, and in fact are limited to carry virtually
> no equipment to get the necessary spells to cast.

How?

> We also modified the mage classes such that their weapon class went
> down at about quarter the rate of pure fighters, with others in
> between.

Not a good thing. A better solution could be to create weapon skills
and use fighting experience instead of level-based experience to
calculate the weapon class.

[...]
> P.S. I also hacked the disarm code such that the spell gives no
> experience there are too many places to get experience without
> any risk.

This is maybe a good thing. We get level 100 in about 45 min over
here... Gige a Spellbook of rune of death to an angel and disarm his
traps.

>      I also coded a rough work around for the infinite spell point
> feature. We had a lot of fun with that one for a while.

I did that, too, sometimes.

> --
>
>                            oooo$$$$$$$$$$$$oooo
[...]

AAAAAAARGH!!! I hate that.

cu

AW
--
Wer geteilt ist hat nichts mitzuteilen (Einstuerzende Neubauten)

Arne Wichmann (aw@math.uni-sb.de)