Getting into a crossfire game

Hi all.  I have been reviewing most of the mailing list and have read
all the web pages.  Yet I am still unable to get anywhere with
Crossfire.  I have compiled it ok (haven't edited any of the files
before compiling though if that was a mistake of mine..) and ran
crossfire and played around in that ok.  My problem is I can't seem to
connect to any of the servers.  I tried them all and I get the
following:

castle:/home/sleipner/a/crossfire/crossfire/bin$ ls
crossclient*   crossfire*     crossrem.pl*   mapconv*
tcpsockets.pl
crossedit*     crossloop*     gensym.pl      mktable*
castle:/home/sleipner/a/crossfire/crossfire/bin$ crossclient -server
beer.csua.berkeley.edu
Failed to add castle:0.0: Can't open display castle:0.0.
castle:/home/sleipner/a/crossfire/crossfire/bin$

When I type "set" at my bash prompt, it says my display is this:
DSIPLAY=:0.0
I don't know what that means, but I'm sure thats what the above command
is complaining about.  All I want to do is play this game.  I love RPG
games, and from what I have seen of this, this is everything I'm looking
for.  MUDS are too boring because there is no graphical repesentation.
THis allows me to directly interact with objects and hopfully other
players.  If anyone can provide me with any help, I would be greatly
appericated.

My system is as follows:
Slackware Linux 2.3  (Kernel 1.3.28)
Xfree86 3.1.1 (X11R6)
Pentium100, 32megs RAM, etc.  (Don't think this is the problem <G>)

Also, if there are other pages, or detailed instructions on getting up
and running, can someone please point me in the right direction?  I have
searched all the web search engines and have only found two or three web
pages.  All of them talk from the viewpoint of me already pasted running
the game.  Well I'm not, so must of that isn't helpful right now. :>
Thank you for your time,

-Matt
link@acy.digex.net