Re: CF: stat raising potions

Brian Thomas wrote:

> 	Hmm. Did the value of these change in 0.92.5? I find
> 	that my 18 cha wizard can now buy them for around 200-300
> 	platinum! THis is a HUGE change in playbalance. I would
> 	vote for changing this back to the old levels.
>
> 					-b.t.

My monk (10 cha) needs 1700-1800 platinum (1400-1500 with bargaining).
My mage (18 cha) needs 1300-1400 platinum (700-800 with bargaining).
(That is, with power and consitution potions.)

BTW, I'm quite new in this (since 92.4) - and I don't understand
why the stats are rised by potions. What is gained by that feature?

It has, IMHO, some drawbacks:

1) It's quite impossible to raise stats before you reach level 10.
   Well, that's probably ok, but:
2) The initial stats are very high (or the maximum stats are too
   low). There are not many stat gains and they take place around level
   15 (depends on equipment and class) once a character is strong enough
   for certain quests, where he gets money quickly. I very much enjoy
   making my character better and better; but it takes place in a very
   short time in the middle of the game.
3) At the moment, raising stats only depends on how much money you have.
4) Potions have a certrain price. Indeed, they become cheaper, when
   a character improves his charisma. IMO, a 20->21 improvement
   should be MUCH more difficult than a 15->16 improvement.

Why isn't stat gaining handled by the experience catagories?
Each category is associated with one (or two) stats. Why not rise
the associated stat when the character gains one level of the
experience category? (with chance==10%)

It's MUCH more plausibe that potions raise stats only temporarily.
Permanently raising potions still could be (VERY rare) quest items.

--
Florian
| h729ihqu@sun1.cip.fak14.uni-muenchen.de      |