CF: Installation problems

Hello people.

I'm new to this so bear with me. On the other hand, I'm a graphics engineer at
SGI so I can figure out the stupider stuff by myself.

I'm currently installing crossfire on my machine (I had to set up a bridge out
of the firewall first, but that works now.)

Now, I can't exactly say that the installation is exactly straightforward. I
_know_ there are better ways of doing this. What I'm worried about is, if I
have a hard time with it, how many people are going to be able to play it at
all?

Anyway, flames aside, eutl refuses to compile on my machine. Furthermore, after
perusing through all the documentation I could find, it's still not clear to me
what eutl is used for. For now, I'm compiling with eutl turned off and I'll see
what happens.

The eutl makefile assumes the sh shell (I think), and that caused me mischief
(my SHELL variable was set to tcsh). Couldn't someone fix that?

I'd be willing to make one very stupid very small program that would generate
the crosssite.def file for you, instead of having to edit it manually and
probably make mistakes, if someone can explain to me the process with more
detail than what the doc says.

If some of you are interested in seeing just how eutl fails, here goes:

-----------------Cut here------------------------------------------------------
cyberus 44% make all
        rm .*-make
        touch .normal-make
        for i in include errlib tcplib xmalloc debuglib dynarray xfile
chain-hash arglist; do \
                (cd $i;make CC="gcc" CFLAGS="-g -Wall -I../include" arlib);\
        done
        rm chain-hash.h debuglib.h dynarray.h errlib.h tcplib.h timelib.h
xfile.h xmalloc.h arglist.h *\~
Cannot access *~: No such file or directory
*** Error code 2 (bu21) (ignored)
        for i in chain-hash.h debuglib.h dynarray.h errlib.h tcplib.h timelib.h
xfile.h xmalloc.h arglist.h; do \
                ln -s ../*/$i $i; \
        done
        gcc -g -Wall -I../include -c tcplib.c
tcplib.c: In function `BecomeServer':
tcplib.c:226: warning: implicit declaration of function `close'
tcplib.c: In function `GetConnection':
tcplib.c:263: warning: implicit declaration of function `bcopy'
tcplib.c: In function `__DoSendMsg':
tcplib.c:344: warning: implicit declaration of function `write'
tcplib.c: In function `eread':
tcplib.c:461: warning: implicit declaration of function `read'
tcplib.c:463: `EReadError' undeclared (first use this function)
tcplib.c:463: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
tcplib.c:463: for each function it appears in.)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
cyberus 45% ls
COPYRIGHT           README              dynarray            xfile
ChangeLog           arglist             errlib              xmalloc
DefectList          chain-hash          include
Makefile            copyright.berkeley  tcplib
Notes               debuglib            timelib
cyberus 46% cat README
The copyright is in the COPYRIGHT file.

This software is in beta test -- it is still mostly undocumented.

After compiling the software (make all)
you should run make check to do some simple tests of the software.

The dllist stuff and the ICE stuff are unfinished, and so can be
revised substantially before distribution.

The debuglib stuff requires the new berkeley hash stuff, this can be
retrieved from any of the freebsd sites.  Berkeley's copyright can
be found as copyright.berkeley.  In short, I have used something produced
by the University of California, Berkeley, and its contributors, don't
hold them responsible if their part fails.

cyberus 47% make check
        for i in include errlib tcplib xmalloc debuglib dynarray xfile
chain-hash arglist; do\
                echo "Checking in $i";\
                (cd $i;make CC="gcc" CFLAGS="-g -Wall -I../include" check);\
        done
Checking in include
don't know how to make check (bu42).
*** Error code 1 (bu21)