CF: Merging objects

I've noticed that when you kill a bunch of monsters on the same square, the
objects they were carrying don't get merged with the other objects on the
square.  I've seen extreme cases where they are thousands of separate objects
on the same square, but if you pick them all up (which takes several minutes),
you only have 50-100 unique items in your inventory.

What problems could be caused by having objects that were carried by a monster
be processed by the 'drop' code upon the death of the monster, causing them to
be merged with matching objects in the square?

--PC