Re: CF: prev on map update (fwd)

    From Preston.F.Crow@Dartmouth.EDU  Tue Sep 30 18:31:16 1997
    To: philb@csua.berkeley.edu (Philip Brown)

    >WHen in the Scorn port, it does not update "everything visible". It
    >updates
    > "The sea, plus all unseen squares"

    Would it be possible for the server to send the full animation
    sequence once, and let the client handle the animation?  That would
    cut down on the bandwidth a lot in some cases.

    I'm clueless as to the code structure, but I'm thinking something
    along the line:

    Server:  square x,y is anim_ocean
    Client:  explain anim_ocean
    Server:  anim_ocean:  ocean_1, ocean_2, ocean_3
    Client:  get_xpm:  ocean_1, ocean_2, ocean_3

I'd argue that if animated object is also GROUND_FLOOR then client should
be able handle the animation reliably without error since the animation
sequence is not going to change and the object being animated is not going
to move.  It should be possible without adding much work to the client or
server to send GROUND_FLOOR squares only once as needed and let client
build up a cached copy of the GROUND_FLOOR of the player's current map.
I do not believe there is any way for the ground_floor of a map to change
so the cache could never be wrong.

						sdw