Re: CF: Artefakts

>>I suggest that a player's inventory be divided into two subtypes of
>>'prepared' and 'stored'.  A player may have only a few prepared items of
>>each type (4 weapons, 5 rings, couple of scrolls, 1 of armour types (boots,
>>armour, helm, gloves, etc).  The advantage of a prepared item is that
>>it can be switched instantly.  All other items would be considered stored
>>which means it takes several movement turns to access them.
>
>Ugh!
>Yuck!
>Yet another place where playability should TAKE PRECEDENCE over
>realism.
>
>Oh what a horrible hassle!  I *hate* messing with my inventory.
>I certainly don't want to be forced to mess with it MORE.  And
>I really have no fun waiting around twiddling my thumbs while something
>times out, like a delay for putting stuff on.
>
>Such a delay barely affects play balance:  I always go somewhere
>safe to mess with my inventory anyway.  I can argue that the inventory
>window already implements your idea of 'prepared' and 'stored'.  Anything
>not part of the limited set which is displayed must be searched for,
>or "prepared".
>
>PeterM

Well, I certainly take advantage of fact that I can have a ton of wands
and staffs readily at hand in order to cast just about any spell in the
middle of battle when I really should only have a limited number of wands
and staffs immediately accessible.  Likewise, I can change out of precious
armour/weapons and into a spare set before a (faster) rust or acid monster
has much of a chance to damage them.  Since I play with split windows,
I have a long inventory list immediately accessible which is often set
to just about all my wands and staffs.  It is certainly removes the need
to make choices when I can have all options always in front of me
immediately accessible.

I am advocating only a few movement delays which would normally be about
one or two seconds in handling 'stored' items.  which is a short delay and
would normally be barely noticeable except in battle when you trying to
do something every move.  I am not proposing 'realistic' delays of minutes
to change armour.  I am proposing only slight delays to discourage (not
prohibit) such activity during the middle of battle.

								sdw