Re: CF: client woes! and mroe

On Aug 20,  7:27pm, Klaus Elsbernd wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: client woes! and mroe
>
> [ text/plain
>   Encoded with "quoted-printable" ] :
>
> Hallo
>

> I second that. Client performance and behaviour is not what I want to use
now.
> Sorry for that. But I'll promise to use it, if it's nearly as fast and
> stable as the server implementation of X11.* I think it's a good idea to
> separate the output of the server from the server. To abandon the support
> of the server implementation is not. At least in the current situation.
> How about removing it within later releases? I was very surprised reading
> the stop of support within this release. **

 There are a few reasons I chose 0.94.3 as the last X11 server side release.

1) 0.94.3 had most all known bugs fixed, and minor features added - stuff left
to be done are the bigger things in the TODO list.  I would like to clean up
the code as much as possible before making such big changes.

2) People are not required to run the latest and greatest server.  If you want
X11 server side support, a presumably stable 0.94.3 will always be around.

3) In most cases, as long as the X11 support was in the client, people would
continue to use it, and bugs in the client/server are never
discovered/reported.  So the problem comes that the client/server would never
really be ready, because not enough people are using it to fix the bugs.

 That said, the client/server approach will never have quite the same
performance as the direct X11 support - simply because there is at least some
minimal time difference in communications when running 2 programs vs one.  So
individually, each player will see performance slightly worse.  However, no
longer will the players see the server freeze as a new person joins the game
and it needs to build the images (or for window managers which allow placement
of windows or even a player on a slow link).  So overall playabilty should
hopefully be better.

 To be honest, the 0.95.x series will probably largely be developement versions
with lots of changes for each release.  Then come in the 0.96 release will
balance and stability hopefully get to a high level again.

On Aug 20,  5:33pm, Christian Stieber wrote:

> crash the server by opening my bag, but other than that...

 I have a fix for this, and will make a patch for 0.94.3 for it.  But this is
one of the bugs that probably would not have shown up without people actually
testing (it only happens when a player has more than a couple hundred items in
a container, which is probably really only happens with containers that reduce
the weight to zero.)

> Well, I never used the client very long (except for some testing)
> since it lacks many playability features from the telnet
> "client". That's why I'm very worried about the "0.94.3 will be the
> last server with X support...". I was hoping to replace my
> telnet-based "client" with the new client before 0.94.4, but with the
> current client version that's not an option :-(

 Can you please detail some of the playability issues?  One thing with
differing the client/server is that developement can be independent.  In fact,
I would expect that I will make a 0.94.4 client release without any
corresponding server release to hopefully improve some playability issues.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com