Re: CF: losing Run/Fire in 0.95.1

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Maciej Kalisiak wrote:
> Yeah, I was a bit hasty in my look at the code; now that I am a bit
> more awake ( :) I think it's the client. See bottom of message for
> some stuff I failed to mention previously, which points the finger at
> the keybindings code (I think).

That wouldnt be a surprise since it's gone through a lot and not been
extensively playtested yet :).

> Sounds like its worth the try. Right now I'm trying to find a way to
> reproduce the bug 100% of the time, so I can verify if a patch works,
> or the x11 client for that matter.

That would be great. I did some playtesting and managed to get the bug
too, but I cant say I found the circumstance which triggered it.

> 1) When I lose the Fire/Run, it seems it is something to do with the
> key bindings. In the info window of the client (where you get all the
> in-game text output), when I press Ctrl and Shift after the loss, I
> get a message along the lines that "L_Control key not bound", etc.! (I
> guess this pretty much alters the whole problem :), much like if I
> pressed Alt...

Yep, that's the way I got it too.

> 2) The way I sort of correct the situation is to hobble to the nearest
> "bed to reality", 'a', "play again", and I'm back in business. Perhaps
> the key bindings are reset, which would fix the problem.

This is even more strange. :) The code involved in restarting a new game
should not be affecting keybindings which are session wide (I think at
least). Weird :). If you can find a way to reproduce it, I'd be very
happy.

Best regards,
David