Re: CF: patch for proper coloring of "damned" objects

On Dec 3,  6:10pm, Maciej Kalisiak wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: patch for proper coloring of "damned" objects
>  >  Not a lot.  damned is worse than cursed.  In both cases, you can not
unequip
>  > an cursed or damned item.  The difference is that spell needed to free the
>  > curse - remove curse or remove damnation.
>
> So just how is damned worse? Or more to the point, is there any
> gameplay difference, other than the title "damned" vs "cursed"? In any
> case it might be interesting to get rid of ->cursed and ->damned and
> replace them with ->cursed_level, where cursed => cursed_level==1,
> damned => cursed_level==2, etc... Than you could have this number
> affect certain statistics... Just a random thought.

 Damned is harder to get rid of (Scrolls of remove damnation are harder to come
by).  Generally, only the worst items (items of woe) are actually damned.

 The cursed item already affects statistics in a negative way, so I am no sure
if adding extra penalty makes a lot of sense (not only is it ac -2 and weighs
extra, it does something beyond that?)

 There was a change at one point where to do a remove curse, the spell level
had to be at least some matching level of the cursed item - however, most items
do not have levels per se, so I would have to look at the code to see how it
does this.

 Arguably, damned items could be removed, and just use cursed for everything.
 Most damned items are so obviously bad that it would be hard for a player to
accidentally equip them.  It could be said that right now, even cursed items
are a bit easy to distinguish, and with the availability of skills and spells
to detect it, you experienced players probably never run into that problem.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com