Re: CF: Server Slowness ?

On Dec 7, 12:40am, Aaron Baugher wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Server Slowness ?
> From: Ian Main <imain@netidea.com>
>
> > Hmm, I should try with -xbm maybe.
>
> Sorry, I should have said -xpm.  Turns on color pixmaps.  Might make
> of.  Looks much better.

 to be more precise, xpm means that it will take more time to get new
images from the server (if using < 128k, I would strongly advise using
-cache so you don't have to download the images each time you play.)

 But to clarify the point - if you are using xpm and exit the city map,
when you return to the city map, loading will not take any longer because
the client should already have all of those images in memory.  The images
are sent when the client needs them.  So for example if you enter a map,
it will only send the images the client doesn't know about that are
currently visible.  If you kill a skeleton that has a strange ring (and
the client has not seen the image for the strange ring), the server will
send the image for the strange ring at the time (when skeleton is killed).

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com