Re: CF: A very newbie question

> Get the unix client - it has a a copy of the Protocol file in it.
>
> If you plan to write a win32 client in C, the unix client is
> probably a good starting point in any case - I am sure some stuff
> would have to be changed, but I would hope the bulk of the change
> would be writing the GUI stuff and not the actual protocol and item
> handling stuf.

Also, you could also quickly whip a Cygwin
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin port together and run with a freely
available XServer. It took me about 4 hours to come up with a working
Win32 Server and Client back with Crossfire 92.6.

If you're going for a pure Win32 port, you can use all of the Crossfire
code and just replace the crypt, rand, file io, and sockets code. The
problem that slowed me down back with the pre 94.x source was that a lot
of data was stored in X11 specific data structures -- this has hopefully
changed now that the server code is separated from the X11 functionallity.

I'm pretty busy working on other projects, but I will be more than happy
to help you if you plan to do a port.

-Daniel D. Bui
ddbui@ufl.edu