Re: CF: Death, Stats and a Simple Party...

[Mark Wedel]

>    On the other hand, death should definately be something the
>   player wants to avoid.  Crossfire is actually a bit more generous
>   than many games where death is permanent (there is in fact an
>   option for crossfire to allow that).

Yes, I am one of the defenders of permanent death.  Remember, even
with permanent death there are ways of resurrecting the corpse, so all
is not lost if you have powerful friends.  I think it is dangerous to
make death painless -- it will make map makers think less about death
traps.  It should be possible for a cautious player to get through
Crossfire without prior knowledge of where the traps are.  (One of my
peeves about Crossfire currently is the traps fitted on every door,
which easily kill low level players.)

>    As said in the spoiler above, there is already a way to raise
>   stats.  However, perhaps there should be a limit on how fast stats
>   can be raised (for example, if a stat total of 140 is max (20 in
>   each of the 7 stats), and the character starts at 105 (average of
>   15), there are 35 stat gains he could do.  Maybe only allow 1 stat
>   potion/level - for example, a 5'th level character could get
>   effects from 5 potions, but no more until he gains some more
>   levels.  In this way, it would actually take a while for a
>   character to get all 20's.

Yes.  I also think it should be made impossible to have max values in
every stat -- the player should have to choose to be an all brawns no
brains barbarian or a the vice versa wizard.

>    Since the above case is true, it is hard to determine what skill
>   to give it to.  PRobably best to give it to whatever skill was
>   used to kill the monster (ie, if hth, then all players get hth
>   experience, if magic, all characters get magic exp).  If they
>   don't have the skill used, they get general exp (general exp would
>   need to be added - basically, it is experience that is only
>   applied towards additional overall levels, and not towards
>   skills).

Sounds like a good plan.

Kjetil T.